Roasted Gobi Aloo (Cauliflower and Potatoes)
Gobi Aloo or Cauliflower and Potatoes, is a very common and frequent place holder at Indian households’ dinner table. There are many ways to cook Gobi Aloo and recipe below displays my way of making it. I love roasted vegetable. Roasting concentrates and therefore intensifies flavors of veggies and brown crust adds to the texture. Cooking Cauliflower in pan makes it very soggy and frying it is just not a healthy option. Also, I have added sour cream to tomato seasoning paste which gives it a subtle creamy and tangy twist to the subzi. This recipe will definitely give your good old Gobi Aloo a makeover will be enjoyed by all.
1 Head Cauliflower (Medium to Small)
2 Large Potatoes
2 Medium or 1 large Tomato
½ Cup Fresh or Frozen Peas
2-4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 Tsp Cooking oil
1 ½ Tsp Crushed Ginger
2 – 3 Tbsp Low Fat Sour Cream or Yogurt
1 Tsp Turmeric
1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
1 Tsp Coriander Powder
½ Tsp Garam Masala (optional)
1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
Salt to Taste
Pinch of Asafetida
- Clean and cut Cauliflower I medium size pieces. Be careful to not cut them too small.
- Peel, clean, and dice Potatoes roughly same size as Cauliflower.
- In 2 baking trays, place Cauliflower on one and Potatoes on the other. If your tray is big enough to fit both that will work too. I lined mine with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
- Drizzle each with EVOO and little bit of salt. Mix to make sure each piece is coated with oil.
- Roast on 450 F for ½ hour or you see golden-brownish coat on top.
- In a microwave, cook peas.
- While Veggies are being roasted, start on seasoning.
- In a pan or skillet heat oil.
- Once hot add Cumin seeds and let them splutter and add Asafetida.
- Add Tomatoes, Ginger, Turmeric, Red Chili Powder, Garam Masala, Coriander Powder, and Salt. (Be careful when adding salt. Account for salt added to veggies).
- Cover and cook until oil separates.
- Once Veggies are ready, Add tablespoon or 2 of H2O to Tomatoes paste to thin it a slightly.
- Add Sour Cream or Yogurt to Tomato paste and cook it enough on low heat until everything homogenize. Do not overcook this mixture.
- Add Veggie and mix well. Almost all liquid will be absorbed by veggies.
- Cook on low heat for 5 minutes and subzi is all ready.
Serve it with Roti/Naan/Parath/ Flat Bread. Left over subzi makes great pocket sandwich.