Pistachio and Lemon Cookies
I love the smell of fresh baked cookies… nothing makes home smell more homely! But I am just not feeling Chocolate Chip or Raisin Oatmeal Cookies today. Today I would fancy something more exotic. So how does, Pistachio and Lemon Cookies sound? The refreshing and zesty flavor of Lemon and richness of Pistachio come wonderfully together in this recipe. These Lemony Nutty sweet treats pair perfectly with sunny Sunday afternoon Tea (or Coffee or Milk 🙂 )
2 + 1/3 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1 Stick Butter
2 Tsp Lemon Rind
1/3 Cup Whole Pistachios
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
¼ Tsp Salt
1/3 Cup Chilled Milk
1-2 Tbsp Chopped Pistachio
- Cut Cold Butter into cubes. Let it in Fridge until ready to use.
- Corse Crush Pistachios.
- In a mixing bowl combine Flour, Baking Soda, and Salt.
- Little at a time work butter cubed into Flour mixture until it resembles crumbly bread crumb.
- Add Sugar, Lemon Rind, and Vanilla Extract.
- Work everything together until everything is incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Not add little milk at a time until dough comes together. Go very slow in adding milk as you don’t want to add more than need. This will make dough too soft.
- Roll dough in to 2 equal size logs and refrigerate them for 15 20 minutes or until it is firm and workable.
- Preheat Oven at 325 F.
- Slice logs into about ½ inch pieces place them on cookie sheet with at least 1 inch space between each (vertically and horizontally) since they will spread as they are bake.
- Sprinkle some chopped Pistachio on each cookie and press it with hand.
- Bake them for 20 minutes. You will cookies are brownish red I color when they are done.
- Let them cool on baking rack for 5 -10 minutes.
Serve them with tea, coffee, or milk. These cookies can be stored in air tight container for a week or so.