Roasted Tomato and Vegetable Soup
So… I have been on my weight loss mission for over a week now and the results so far: 4 down, many more to go. Of course I have been exercising and eating healthy. Feeling muscles that I did not know exist and salads & smoothies are my best friends these days. The keys to sticking to healthy eathing are varity and creativity. Don’t want to get bord eating same things and need to jazz dises with fresh herbs and spice. Having said that, I stood in front of my fridge full of colorful veggies and fruits wondering what I will have for dinner. Looked at a carton of cherry tomatoes and wheels started turning and an idea of Roasted Tomato Soup was conceived. I checked the crispers and found veggies that I could throw in. What better way to warm up on this cold, rainy, and windy day than a bowl of Roasted Tomato and Vegetable Soup? Healthy, Satisfying, and Delicious!
25 Cherry Tomatoes (you can substitute about 4-5 Plum Tomatoes)
1 Medium Onion
4-6 Cloves Garlic1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Cups of Vegetable Stock
1/3 Cup Finely Chopped Zucchini (roughly half a zucchini)
1/3 Cup Finely Chopped Celery (about 2 stalks)
¼ Cup Finely Chopped Carrots
1 Cup Chopped Kale
½ Cup Black Beans
5 Leaves of Fresh Basil Thinly Sliced
½ Tsp Black Pepper
Salt to Taste
- Preheat Over on 400 F
- Line baking tray with a piece of foil
- Wash, dry and place tomatoes on baking tray
- Rough Chop Onion and add to baking tray
- Add Cloves of Garlic to baking tray with skin on
- Roast Tomatoes, Onion, and Garlic for about 20 -25 minutes.
- Change temperature Setting to Broil and roast for 5 more minutes or until tomatoes and Onion Caramelize. Watch closely to avoid burning.
- Chop all the vegetable.
- Once Tomatoes, Onion and Garlic are roasted, let them cool and carefully peel Garlic skin off.
- Transfer it to a cooking pot with all the liquid that is released.
- Add, Vegetable Stock, quarter of an Avocado, and ¼ Cup Black Beans to the pot.
- With a hand blender, blend everything together until smooth.
- Turn the flame and bring it to boil.
- Add Carrots, Celery and remaining Black Beans.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Add Zucchini, Avocado, Basil and Kale and simmer for five more minutes.
I am trying to avoid fat calories so i did not but you can top it with cheese (Cheddar or Parmigiano Reggiano ) and Serve it with your choice of bread.