Hello … I know it’s been a while since I posted but just been busy. As you may know, I have been following Dr’ Fuhrman’s diet and this week marks six weeks since I have been on the program. So the total weight loss equals to (drum roll….) 14 Lbs. I did cheat here and there as I was traveling on and off but it’s an achievement. Still following the diet and exercise plan and will post as many healthy recipes as I can. However, everyone else in my family needs to eat normal non-diet food, so made handva/handvo, which, is a savory cake made from coarse flour of rich and a few lintels.
Handvo had always been a popular lunch item on weekends in our household because this is one of my dad’s favorite. It has always been a tasty and filling companion on road trips during summers. I love it because it is a one dish meal and is very flavorful. Every time we introduced our friends to handvo they instantly fall in love with it and ask for recipe. Speaking of which, I had once taken left over Handvo for lunch and was warming it up in microwave. Everyone kept on asking what smells so good and long story short, about 5 people ended up trying it, and I had to buy my lunch that dayJ. Following week I made a tray of it just to take it to work. A slice of Handvo is spectacularly savory and sesame seeds sprinkled on the top crust add a nutty crunchiness to this soft and savory cake.
Ingredients for Batter
2 Cups Handva Flour (Can be bought from any Indian Grocery Store but do not confused this with instant Handvo mix)
2 Cups Shredded Dudhi/Loki (Bottle Gourd)
2/3 Cup Fenugreek Leaves (Frozen or Fresh)
1 Medium Onion Shredded
½ Cup Yogurt
1/8 Cup Shredded Gud
2 Green Chilies and 1 ½ Piece Ginger (Crushed to Paste)
2 Tbsp Oil (I used Light Olive Oil but Corn, Vegetable, or Canola Oil is fine)
1 Tsp Turmeric
½ Tsp Red Chili Powder
¼ Tsp of Soda Bi-Carb or Baking Soda
1 Tbsp Flax Seed meal (optional)
2 Tsp Salt (I used Sea Salt so adjust accordingly. If you are using regular salt, start with 1 ½ Tsp and adjust as necessary)
3 TBsp Oil
½ Tsp Mustard Seeds
½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
2-3 Whole Red Chilies
Pinch of Asafetida
1 ½ Tsp Sesame Seeds
- You do want batter to be slightly salty because when baked it will adjust.
- Over all, all flavors should come through in the batter (Sweetness, Sourness, Spiciness, and Saltiness). Otherwise after baking, it will not taste well seasoned.
- Other veggies that work well are Spinach, cabbage, Zucchini, and Corn-Onion.
- For Brunch, Bake Handvo in muffin trays, which also works well for traveling.
- Use mini muffin tray for appetizer Handva Bites.
- In a mixing bowl mix all ingredients for batter EXCEPT Soda Bi-Carb or Baking Soda and mix well.
- Add Water as necessary to make pasty batter (medium consistency).
- Let it sit for at least an hour. I let it sit over night.
- At this point you may have to add more water as it gets soaked.
- Do a taste test and adjust if necessary.
- Add Soda Bi-Carb or Baking Soda and mix well.
- Spray/oil/ butter and flout a baking tray and set it aside. I used Pyrex 8×8, however you can also use 9×11 in which case the thickness of Handva will be less. I actually prefer that because you get nice balance of crust and soft core.
- Pre heat over at 450 F.
- Heat oil for tempering.
- Once hot, add Mustard seeds, Cumin Seeds, Asafetida, Sesame Seeds and Whole Red Chilies let all the seed pop.
- Pour it over batter and mix well.
- Pour Batter into the baking tray and sprinkle sesame seeds generously on top.
- Place in oven on middle rack and lit is bake of 40 -50 minutes. Keep a close eye on it half an hour in to the cooking time as all ovens are different. If you are using 9×11 tray, the cooking time will be little less.
- Bake until edges are reddish brown and top is pinkish red.
- Do a fork/toothpick test to check if it is done.
- If it is baked, set oven temp to Broil and bake for another 5 minutes to form a nice crust on top. Watch it closely so you don’t burn it.
- Take the tray our and let it sit for 10-20 minutes before digging in.
Handva is a one dish meal and tastes delicious by itself, but can be served with Green Chutney, Tamarind Chutney, Pickle, or Chundo. Also makes great tea time snack!