Masoor Dal –Red Lentil Stew
Dal in general is a true soul food for any Indian at heart. I relish any kind of dal with simple steamed rice. Arhar or Tool and Moong dals top the chart but I am in mood for something different today. Hummm….. I searched my pantry high and low and I found a jar of Masoor Dal/Red Lentil . Now Masoor Dal is not frequently made in my kitchen, but whenever I do, is it enjoyed by all. This delicious, simple, and healthy recipe is an easy way to spruce up your everyday menu.
2/3 Cup Masoor Dal (Red Lentil or Kali Dal)
1 Medium Tomato Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic Finely Chopped/minced
1 Tsp Minced Ginger
1 Green Chili
2 Red Whole Chilies
½ Tsp Turmeric
½ Tsp Red Chili Powder
¼ Tsp Garam Masala
½ Tsp Coriander Powder
½ Tsp Mustard Seeds
1 ½ Tbsp Oil or Ghee
Salt to taste
Pinch of Asafetida
Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Cook Dal in a pressure cooker or by boiling.
- Using a hand blender, pulse crush it to thicken and homogenize a little.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil until hot. You can test it by adding a few Mustard Seed and if they pop , oil is ready.
- Add Mustard Seeds, Asafetida, and Whole Red Chilies. Cook it for a few seconds.
- Add Tomato, Ginger, Garlic, and Green Chili. Mix and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add Turmeric, Red Chili Powder, Garam Masala, Coriander Powder, and Salt. Cook until oil separates.
- Add Dal, Mix and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Add water if needed.
- Again, Add water if dal has become thick. I like medium consistency dal, so amount of H2O you add is up to you.
Garnish with Coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.