Tomato and Garlic Dal
½ Cup Arhar or Toor Dal (can also use Moong dal)
1 Medium Tomato
3 Cloves Garlic
¼ inch Piece Ginger
1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
2 Whole Red Chilies
½ Tsp Turmeric
½ Tsp Red Chili Powder (or to taste)
Salt to taste
Pinch of Asafetida
3 Tbsp Oil
- Cook Dal in a pressure cooker or by boiling. Hand blend it once cooked
- Puree Tomato, Garlic, and Ginger.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil.
- Once hot, add Cumin Seeds, Asafetida, and Whole Red Chilies.
- Add Tomato-Garlic Puree, and cook it for a few minutes.
- Add Red Chili Powder, Turmeric, and Salt and mix well.
- Add Dal and 2-3 cups of water.
- Let it simmer on medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Adjust water to desired thickness of Dal.
Serve it hot with Rice.