Bhindi (Okra) Subzi
1 – ½ lb Bhindi (okra)
1 medium-small Onion
1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
½ Tsp Turmeric
2 Tsp Coriander Powder
Salt to taste
Pinch of Asafetida
3 Tbsp Oil
1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- Wash and completely dry Bhindis. You don’t want to leave any moisture in bhindi.
- Cut Bhindi width wise making round, ½ inch pieces.
- Chop Onion finely.
- In a non stick pan or kadhi, heat oil till it’s hot.
- Add Cumin Seeds until they splatter, and add Asafetida.
- Add Chopped Onion and mix well. Let it cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add Bhindi and mix well until all Bhindi is coated with oil.
- You will see slimy strings as you stir which will go away as it is cooked.
- Do not add salt until Bhindi is completely cooked.
- Cover and cook for about 5- 7 minutes on medium heat, stirring it frequently.
- Uncover and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until Bhindi is cooked.
- Add Red Chili Powder, Turmeric, Coriander Powder, and Salt and mix well.
- Let is cook for another 5 minutes, as all spices flavors come together.
- Sprinkle Lemon Juice over the subzi and mix. Turn off the flame.
Serve hot with Roti and yogurt.