Onion and Tomato Gravy
3 Large Yellow Onions (Roughly Chopped)
2 Large Roma Tomatoes (about 2 ½ Cups Chopped)
1/8 Cup Oil
3 Green Chilies
4 Flakes of Garlic
1 Inch Piece of Ginger
1 ½ tsp of Salt (or to taste)
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Paprika
½ Cup Cream
2/3 Cup of Milk (Use as needed while pureeing)
Pinch of Asafetida (hing)
- Chop onions and tomatoes in roughly same size.
- Cut green chilies and ginger in 2 to 3 pieces.
- In a kadhai or sauce pan heat oil. Once heated, add a pinch of asafetida and onions,
- Cook Onion for 3 minutes on medium flame and add cashews, green chilies, ginger, and whole flakes of garlic.
- After 3 minutes, add tomatoes, salt, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala, and paprika.
- Mix well and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes on medium-high flame string it frequently.
- Remove it from flame and let it cool down for about 10 minutes.
- Once cool, puree the mixture in a blender. Use milk while pureeing only if necessary
- Transfer puree to the kadhai or sauce pan and start cooking it on medium heat.
- Check for spices, and adjust if necessary.
- Add cream after gravy starts to bubble. Mix well.
- Cook the gravy for 30 to 40 minutes reducing it to half its volume or until oil separates. Stir it frequently. Cover the gravy while cooking as it will splatter all over.
Gravy is ready. This gravy can be freezed up to 6 months and can be used as base for various gravy base dishes. I will post recipes using this gravy.