Vegetarian Pasta e Fagioli
Hello Folks!! Sorry have not been able to post anything lately because I have been out of town. I am back and that too with a hearty soup recipe. I love soups and winter is just the season to curl up under a blanket with a warm bowl of your favorite soup. I was at an Italian restaurant and had tried a vegetarian Paste e Fagioli soup and I loved it! Not many restaurants have vegetarian versions of this soup though traditionally it is a meatless dish. Pasta e Fagioli means Pasta and Beans so it is a very hearty, healthy, and delicious!
2 ½ Cup of Vegetable Stock
15 oz Can of Pinto Beans
1 Cup of pasta shells (can also use elbow pasta)
½ Cup Chopped Onion
3 Flakes of Garlic Chopped
3 Tbsp shredded Parmesan Cheese
4 Tbsp pasta sauce
3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ Tsp Italian seasoning ( I use McCormick’s)
½ Tsp for Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning
¼ Tsp Black Pepper
Salt to Taste
- Divide can of Pinto Beans in half.
- Cook Pasta as per package direction to El Dente
- In a sauce pan, heat Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Once it is hot, add chopped Garlic and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add Onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add Italian Seasoning, Garlic Herb Seasoning, and Pasta Sauce. Mix well and cook for 3- 5 mins.
- Add one portion of beans and vegetable of Stock.
- Remove from heat and blend everything together with a hand blender or in a counter top blender.
- Add remaining whole beans to the soup.
- Simmer the soup on medium heat for 7-10 minutes. Add water if it gets too thick (you can also add water in which you cooked pasta). Keep soup to medium consistency, not too thin or thick.
- Add Black Pepper and Salt and lower the heat.
- Add Parmesan Cheese and mix until is cheese melts in to the soup.
- Add cooked pasta and let it sit on low heat for about 3 minutes and soup is read to be served.
Garnish the soup with shredded Parmesan Cheese and serve it with a piece of your favorite bread. My personal choice of bread is rosemary and olive oil bread from Wagmans.
This Recipes is part of Show Me Your Soup Event Hosted by Dil Se…