It is such a lazy Sunday… Woke and as I was sipping my morning tea, I was thinking what can I make for lunch that is quick, easy, and of course delicious. Suddenly, I remembered my mom’s recipe that have not made in ages. Dangela! Yeap folks, this is a Guajarati puda or chilla made from Handwa flour. You can buy Handwa flour from any Indian grocery store.
1 Cup Handwa flour
½ Cup frozen or fresh fenugreek leaves (1/4 cup kasuri methi)
¼ Cup yogurt
2 Tbsp Shredded Jaggery (gud)
½ Tsp Turmeric
1 Tsp Salt (or to taste)
Green Chili, Ginger, and Garlic Paste—2 green chilies, 1 inch piece of peeled Ginger, and 4 flakes of Garlic grind to paste. Add1-2 Tbst of water to grind if necessary.
1 Tbsp oil + oil to cook
Red chili powder to taste
1 Cup water
2-3 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- In a mixing bowl add all ingredients except, water, sesame seeds and oil to cook.
- Now slowly add water while mixing until medium consistence (not so runny, not so pasty) batter is formed.
- Mix well and taste batter for seasoning, adjust if necessary.
- Let better sit for at least 20 minutes.
- To cook heat a non-stick pan and have oil to cook and sesame seeds ready.
- Stir batter and add more water if batter has thickened.
- Once pan is hot, adjust heat to medium flame, and pour ladle full batter in center of the pan and spread it is circular motion from inside out. However, don’t make chilla too thin like Dosa. Thickness should be like Uttapum.
- Sprinkle Sesame Seed on Chilla and increase heat to Medium high. You may see bubbles forming.
- Once the batter solidifies somewhat, decrease heat to medium flame and apply oil to edges and on top.
- Cover it and Cook for about minute to minute and half.
- Once you see that sides are pinkish red, flip the Chilla and cook for another minute or until it’s done.
- Serve hot with your favorite chutney, ketchup or yogurt.
You can omit or decrease (or increase) sweetness in Dangela. Adjust taste by increasing or decreasing amount of Jaggery (gud) you add.
You can substitute Fenugreek leaves with other vegetables such as shredded Bottle Gourd (Loki )or onion, and finely chopped spinach. However, if you add shredded Bottle Gourd, or onion, you will need less water since they have high water content. Make sure you don’t make batter runny by adding too much water.
P.S: Will post Handwa recipe in near future.