Makai Chevda (Corn Subzi)
3 cups grated fresh corn (about 6-7 corns cobs)—I don’t recommend this recipe with frozen or canned corn.
6 tsp oil
2 green chilies chopped
2 tsp sesame seeds
2 tsp grated coconut
8-10 curry leaves
Dash (1/8 tsp) asafetida
½ tsp Mustard seeds
2 tsp crushed ginger
2 tsp salt (or as per taste)
¼ tsp red chili powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp lemon juice
Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Grate 6-7 corn cobs ( about 3 cups)
- Heat oil in a skillet (Tawa) on high heat.
- Once oil is hot enough add Asafetida, mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilies, and ginger. Cook for 30 seconds
- Add grated corn and stir to mix everything. Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes than add Salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coconut.
- Mix well for another 7 minutes and stir frequently
- Add lemon juice and again mix well.
- Cook for another minute or 2 and remove from heat.
- Transfer Sabzi in a serving bowl and sprinkle with coriander leaves. Server with warm Rotis
This is an authentic West Indian recipe (from state of Gujarat). I have learned this recipe from my mother and grandmother. This is sweet and savory dish that can be enjoyed with roti, toast or by itself.